Who We Are
"The advancement of science should be the chief concern of a nation that would conserve and increase the welfare of its people."
-James McKeen Cattell, former AAAS President and Editor of Science
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is an
international non-profit organization dedicated to advancing science for
the benefit of all people. For over a century, AAAS has been a force
for science, from helping to establish science as a credible field in
the 19th century to using satellite imaging technology to document human
rights abuses in 2007. We are recognized as the world’s largest general
scientific society and the proud publisher of the Science family of
journals. Past presidents have included astronomer Edward Charles
Pickering, anthropologist Margaret Mead, and biologist Stephen Jay
Gould. Our mission is centered on the belief that STEM research and
education can help solve many of the challenges the world faces today.
is a culture steeped in history, but adaptive to change and new ideas.
We recognize the hard work of our employees and encourage the
development of our staff. Our colleagues represent an array of expertise
from scholarly publishing to digital marketing, educational research to
government relations, all with a shared focus on mission. At AAAS, you
are part of a talented team, dedicated to advancing science and serving
Work with Us
We have an exciting full-time opportunity for a Program Associate, Dialogue on Science, Ethics, and Religion (DoSER) Program
in our Washington, DC office. The position involves coordinating
communication and outreach needs of the program and its many projects
dedicated to fostering a better dialogue between the scientific and
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to the DoSER’s outreach, marketing, and communications activities
in the research, writing, creation, and editing of project-related
resources including marketing materials, event articles, and public
- Serve as a point of contact for internal and external media relations and communication vendors
- Develop and manage database of DoSER networks and contacts
- Plan and organize logistics for program events and workshops
- Represent the program and the variety of projects online, through social media, and at conferences and meetings
- Other duties as needed to support the program
minimum of a university or college-level training leading up to a
Bachelor’s degree. Degree or strong training in public relations,
journalism, marketing, and/or communications is preferred
- Minimum three years of related experience. Master's degree preferred
interest in public engagement and building dialogue between the
scientific and religious communities. Familiarity with STEM-related
fields and/or diverse religious communities is preferred
- Experience with organizing and promoting public events and/or academic workshops
- Skill in relevant software packages, including Microsoft Office and the Adobe Creative suite.
or familiarity with online content management systems and languages
(e.g., Drupal, Wordpress, HTML) for website design and management
- Knowledge of graphic design and editing for promotional and marketing purposes. Video production and editing skills is a plus.
- Fluency in social media (blogging, Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
- Excellent writing and editorial skills
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to travel
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter by November 6, 2017.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If we think you might
be a good fit for the role, we will contact you with next steps.
is an EO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual
orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability,
veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to
confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.