Re: Where's the Evolution?

Steven Schimmrich (
Tue, 06 Apr 1999 11:03:48 -0400

Cummins wrote, in reply to Brian Harper, that:

>> OK, let me make a statement that you may think is outrageous at first. :)
>> Evolution is both theory and fact.
> A theory by definition is something that is not known to be a fact. Saying
> one thing is both a fact and a theory is silly. The late Carl Sagan often
> said that Evolution is a fact, not a theory. I suspect that many
> Evolutionists think such honest expression of their beliefs sounds a little
> too religious.

This reminds me of an essay on the Talk Origins page titled "Evolution is a
fact and a theory" by Laurence Moran, a biochemist at the University of Toronto (

- Steve.

   Steven H. Schimmrich                         Assistant professor of geology
   Department of Geology and Geography (office)
   Calvin College                      (home)
   3201 Burton Street SE                        616-957-7053, 616-957-6501 (fax)
   Grand Rapids, Michigan 49546