Re: Evolution's Imperative (was Def'n of Science)

Susan B (
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:55:09 -0600 (CST)

>> >I believe they fully understood Darwinism and its implications. What did
>> >you have in mind here?
>> as others have pointed out, Marx was not influenced by Darwin.
>I beg to differ. Quoting from Zircle's 'Evolution'(p85) and Barzun's
>'Darwin, Marx, Wagner'(p8), we have "Marx and Engels accepted evolution
>almost immediately after Darwin published 'The Origin..."...It is
>commonplace that Marx felt his own work to be the exact parallel of
>Darwin's. He even wished to dedicate a portion of 'Das Kapital' to...
>(Darwin - who declined the honour!)."

Marx was impressed with Darwin's work *after* his ideas were developed. A
lot of people (including Marx) were impressed with Darwin's work!

however that was one small side comment in a much longer post. I surprised
you had no comments or refutations about how using antibiotics without a
knowledge of Darwinian principles is dangerous or about Hitler's
misunderstanding of Darwinism.

>Henry Morris in 'The Long War Against God' states, "It is clear that
>Marx and Engels based their communistic philosophy squarely on the
>foundation of evolutionism.

and of course, they didn't (I have often found that the truth is a stranger
in Henry Morris's mouth) because they developed their ideas before Darwin
published. The fact that they admired Darwin later on, means nothing.

Life is short, but it is also very wide.