Re: [asa] Human Sacrifice for Gaia & Culling the Herd

From: John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Dec 21 2009 - 12:54:24 EST

 something specific that Mr Colson said, or is reported to have said (others jump in to correct misstatements), but hardly any in which something disparaging is said about him.  In short, John, I think your own statement above is not supported. Now, as for Mr Colson's views on human dignity, population, and China's one-child policy, I have only two things to say.  Mr Colson wrote this in one of the columns you linked: "The Chinese policy was an inhumane, brutal, and totalitarian effort to address the historic problems posed by China’s huge population."  I have been to China twice, John, I'm familiar with the details of their policy (for example, you can have two--count 'em, two--children if you are from certain ethnic groups, such as being from Mongolia), I've talked to a lot of Chinese citizens about what goes down there (most of them will talk only reluctantly about such things), and I've seen the impact of that policy and many others (such as the decision to relocate millions of people in order to build the Three Gorges Dam, or the fact that they are or recently were using half of the world's iron ore supply and burning one heck of a lot of coal, so that they have several
 of the most polluted cities in the world, pretty much no matter how you measure that).  My two comments are as follows.  (1) I entirely agree with what Mr Colson wrote in the sentence quoted above.  (2) I wonder what Mr Colson, John Walley, Ted Davis, or anyone else, thinks that the Chinese ought to do to curb their enormous (and still growing) population.  There are more middle-class people in China, John, than the entire population (middle class and otherwise) in the USA.  And there are more than 4X that many other people in China.  Another billion next door in India, and more in Pakistan and Bangladesh combined than in the USA.  That's a tremendous population for half a continent (I throw out that figure and it could be too large but I think it's about right).  The USA is geographically about the same size as China, and like China large pieces of our country are very sparsely populated (Alaska, the Dakotas and Montana are certainly in this category).  In what's left, we aren't yet crawling over one another in most areas that
 can't be seen from the top of the Empire State Building.  The Chinese, however, have 100 cities with populations of 1 Million or more; the USA has all of nine.  The third largest city in the USA, a little place called Chicago, wouldn't make their top 25.  Should the Chinese be worried about this, John?  Should the rest of the world worry about the number of people on the planet?  Does it have to be a form of idolatry (earth worship) simply to think that the Earth as the good Lord created it has a finite carrying capacity, not only for human beings but also for the other creatures that God also intended for us to share the planet with?  (I base this last point on a plain reading of Genesis 1 & 2.)  Sometimes objections to "environmentalism" are based on legitimate theological concerns about worshiping the Earth (literally or figuratively); sometimes they are based on a failure to take seriously an appropriately biblical understanding of
 stewardship--according to which our purpose on Earth (as clearly stated in Genesis 2) *is* to take care of the creation.  That's precisely why God put us here; very few things are more clearly stated in the Bible than this particular truth (IMO).  If Cameron Wybrow is out there still, I'd really like to hear what he has to say about this.  Few people understand the biblical view of stewardship and the Genesis mandate--and what it has been said to mean--better than he does.  IMO, John, something *does* have to be done to curb population growth--which is, unlike the earth's temperature, something that everyone agrees is a very real phenomenon.  What that something is, of course, is the hard part.  China is a prime example of both sides of this: something must be done, but not what China is doing. What do *you* think, John?  Is population growth something that Christians ought to be worried about?  If not yet, at what point would you think that it is?  (The assumption here is that with a finite carrying capacity there has to be such a point; the only out would be to say that the eschaton will happen before we get to that point.) Ted