Re: [asa] Climate Progress

From: Christine Smith <christine_mb_smith@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Dec 21 2009 - 12:27:44 EST

Hi Burgy,

I'm sorry, but even as a fellow AGW proponent, I don't see that your arguments here are reasonable. First, I think it is highly unlikely that humanity would go extinct from even the worst climate change scenarios, given the fact that humans are highly intelligent and therefore quite adaptable. Do you have any *evidence* (if that's even possible at this point in time) to support such a monumental possibility? Second, even if that was what we were facing, I would strongly argue that there is no "end" in which *any* means would be morally justified - that kind of ethical "blank check" is completely irresponsible and I would argue, un-Christian. Dictatorships thrive on compulsion, fear, and the deprivation of human rights - these inherently contradict the notion of "love one another as I have loved you" and "do unto others as you would have done unto you". To surrender our highest ideals for the sake of survival on an individual or a societal basis is to
 lose the very HUMANity that we seek to protect. Moreover, it betrays a lack of faith in the Creator and Redeemer of all things, that we would see death/extinction as something so terrible that God could not help us overcome it through other means, whether that be through better human solutions to our problems, or through the ultimate divine promise of the resurrection. I am all for protecting humanity (and the rest of God's creatures) from AGW, but not at the expense of all that makes us human, and indeed all that makes us Christian.

In Christ,
Christine

"For we walk by faith, not by sight" ~II Corinthians 5:7

Help save the life of a homeless animal--visit www.azrescue.org to find out how.

Recycling a single aluminum can conserves enough energy to power your TV for 3 hours--Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! Learn more at www.cleanup.org