[asa] Review of "More Than a Theory"

From: James Patterson <james000777@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon Dec 21 2009 - 07:27:48 EST

Darrel Falk of the BioLogos Foundation recently reviewed "More Than a
Theory" by Hugh Ross.

The link is here: http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/2009/PSCF9-09s09bks.pdf

Here's a quote from that review for reference:

The insertion of hundreds of thousands of repetitive DNA elements each at
the exact same location really needs to be addressed. It is clear to
biologists that by far the majority of these insertions have no functional
significance. Hence they are simply passed from one generation to the next
as ancient history, "scars" of old events from days gone by. Often when they
are inserted at a particular site, they become truncated. When that happens,
it is the exact same truncated version that is found at the exact same site
in all ancestral species.

And another:

Geneticists continue to believe that most of the repeated DNA is not
functional, although there are certainly "islands of functionality"
surrounded by that which likely has little benefit or harm.

The reviewer and others interested may wish to read a recent
<http://www.nyas.org/Publications/Annals/Detail.aspx?cid=dd4b9c3f-2d2e-47cd-
b4c7-75b2fc06ae7e> edition (October 2009) of the Annals of the New York
Academy of Sciences on "Natural Genetic Engineering and Natural Genome
Editing". It was very enlightening to me, especially the lead article by
James Shapiro on "Revisiting the Central Dogma in the 21st Century". While I
don't think Dr. Shapiro intends his work as an apologetic instrument, it
presents some rather elegant arguments for design, in my opinion. This is a
"broad strokes" review article, and the entire volume is interesting in the
context of "Natural" genetic engineering. It continues to amaze me that many
(atheist) geneticists and cell biologists can look at the complex systems in
the cell - and their extreme improbability - and think they evolved
"naturally". If you can read Shapiro's paper and not see God's handiwork, I
think something is wrong with your vision! J

Anyway, in Shapiro's article, on pages 7 and 8 is a section on "Genome-wide
(pervasive) transcription".

Employing this criterion, the evidence for functionality of all regions of
the genome has recently been extended by a detailed investigation of 1% of
the human genome.22 This study has indicated that virtually all DNA in the
genome, most of which does not encode protein, is transcribed from one or
both strands.23 So the central dogma-based notion that the genome can be
functionally discriminated into transcribed (informational, coding) and
nontranscribed (junk) regions appears to be invalid. There are other reasons
for discounting the notion that only protein-coding DNA contains
biologically meaningful information.24

There were significant portions of the rest of the manuscript and multiple
other manuscripts in the volume which are related to repetitive DNA
elements, horizontal gene transfer, etc. One indicates that perhaps as much
as a third of human DNA comes from viruses! Clearly we have much more to
learn. Be that as it may.given that the DNA is being transcribed, perhaps in
both directions, doesn't that imply some underlying purpose?

I wish I could find it now, but I also recently saw an article that provided
evidence for DNA insertion at exactly the same site in different species,
but was *not* common descent. I will try and find that. It may be in that
ANYAS volume I reference above.

Kind regards,

James Patterson,

Shreveport, LA