From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Mon Dec 21 2009 - 02:00:55 EST

Bill,

Sorry for taking so long to get back.

If you have poor data and only poor data, you must of course try to get something out of them--provided you have nothing better to do (i.e., can't get more funding to do a better experiment, or can't go back in time to redo measurements). Every geoscientist who works extensively with real Earth measurements has run into the necessity of trying to make the best possible use of flawed data. The poor quality is what makes data adjustments necessary, and the best way to make these adjustments is often uncertain and involves the interpreter's subjective judgment.

Actually, seismic static corrections, if done competently, are among the least questionable kinds of adjustments, so they're a special case. A kind of adjustment closer to what I imagine is the kind that climate scientists must make would be well log adjustments. For example, when you record rock velocity and density in a well, you know there should be a close relationship between the quantities measured. If instead you find that one record seems to be shifted by a constant amount relative to the other, you'd naturally apply a shift to bring them into alignment. But exactly how you do the shift can affect the overall data interpretation.

Every such subjective correction, though reasonable (if done ethically and within accepted standards), introduces interpreter bias and hence adds uncertainty to the final data interpretation. One thing Glenn seems to have shown is that some of the climate scientists' measurements were done with such callous disregard for good experimental practice that the validity of any subsequently applied subjective correction must be in doubt.

So yes, different scientists will have different data rejection threshholds. I set quite high standards in my own work, and the company one way or another was willing to pay. The worst standards I witnessed in my career were those of a few national lab and university scientists. They were unfortunately stuck with trying to make silk purses out of sow's ears (to coin a phrase), and they called on all sorts of "sophisticated" data processing to extract something from practically nothing. Their end products did not inspire confidence.

In such cases of terrible data, were their interpretation efforts of any value at all? IMO--in the few cases I'm thinking of--they were of no scientific value. They had to do the work, however, because they'd been given the funds. For them to just give up would possibly have precluded further funding.

How much climate data is of this inferior sort? Judging from Glenn's comments, probably a lot. And much of it was recorded long before anyone thought it might be used for really important stuff like controlling human economies and behavior en masse.

Don