[asa] Accelerating Expansion of the Universe

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Sun Dec 20 2009 - 22:34:41 EST

There is an article by Blake Temple and Joel Smoller in Volume 106, Number
34 of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (pp.14213-14218)
in which, according to a survey-type article that I read, they have new
solutions of the Einstein equations, inspired by shock wave theory, that
suggest a cosmology model which fits accelerating expansion of the
universe possibly eliminating assumptions of "dark matter". However what
the abstract mentions is that it might make the cosmological constant and
dark energy unnecessary. My question for the physicists on this list is:
What do you think are the chances that this is the direction in which
cosmological theory will go?

Gordon Brown (ASA member)