RE: [asa] creationists with advanced degrees are often engineers

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Fri Dec 18 2009 - 15:48:53 EST

Notice again the critical impact of biology. Without biology, YEC can be argued decently, in my opinion, at least well argued on the surface. But biology kills YEC. And I don't think most engineers know much about evolutionary biology, or maybe even biology in general. However, this may all change in the younger generation. There is now much more biology teaching even at the high school level, I think.

I graduated from HS in 1980, and got a BSEET in 1984. Almost no exposure to biology. My first major exposure was in a seminary class (2006), then later in self-study. My daughter knows much more about general biology than me, in different areas, and she is first year in college. She's also in the general science degree program, and it is surprisingly heavily weighted in biology. In fact, I'm shocked they don't even require a programming class, which I can't understand them not doing.

I see the attack on Christianity from evolution as looming larger and larger... YEC/OEC needs to deal with human evolution, and TE needs to figure out a coherent theology (the problems as I see them).

...Bernie
(Friend of the ASA)