RE: First philosophy (Was: Refuting Aristotle et al (was Re: [asa] Dawkins on the fossil record))

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Fri Dec 18 2009 - 12:46:24 EST

Dave said:
"The logical notion that there has to be a single first does not necessarily apply to reality."

This is too general of a statement to be true. It depends on what the 'first' is. For example, I could arrange "The first annual Sciligion Potluck." Or there could be the 'first' time Dave and I speak over the phone.

But if it comes to a continuum, you can't find the first. For example, a sliding scale from white to black in 1 million increments, and I ask you to show me where 'grey' first appears, or even 'white' or 'black.' There are some 'black's" that look the same, and our eye can't tell the difference. Evolution is the exact same. And evolution created mankind. Every descendent appears to be almost exactly the same as their ancestor, male/female mixed.

...Bernie
(Friend of the ASA)