Re: [asa] Disclosure

From: Bill Powers <wjp@swcp.com>
Date: Fri Dec 18 2009 - 08:42:38 EST

The way that climate warming is being presented makes it a very
difficult decision. The picture appears to be

1) The consequences are dire, although the exact nature of the
consequences is uncertain.
2) The lag time between the response and the consequences to that
response is long. This entails that one cannot easily check the extent
that any action is having in preventing or diminishing the disaster.
3) It is not only the long lag time that prevents ready assessment. The
science of both the models and measurement appears to be inadequate for
the task at present.
4) The science required to even describe the consequences are uncertain,
although some aspects that appear more certain are deemed dire.

With this scenario one might easily "over respond." The response required
might be thought to be bringing the massive industrial train of modern
civilization to a screeching halt, hardly a satisfactory solution to the
vast portion of the rapidly developing Third or Second World, viz., China
and India. Mightn't such countries and people suspect, and surely
mightily resist, such a resolution now that the long awaited entry into
the bounty of the West is on their doorstep, indeed a critical turn in
history when the shift of economic power and might is rapidly shifting to
the East? This is the stuff that war is made of. Yet it is painted as
the 21st Centuries vesion of MAD. But with MAD it's very definition
entailed a "cold" war. Might the same be said of the new MAD?

bill

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009,