Re: [asa] List rules? PSCF article on GOD of Immunology-Randomness

From: Bill Powers <wjp@swcp.com>
Date: Thu Dec 17 2009 - 21:13:19 EST

Craig:

I agree that the volume of emails is too high. I, for one, can't keep
up with it, although the volume does fluctuate, and I might note that
some prominent contributors are not presently posting (so it could be
worse).

Frankly, I am enjoying the AGW or global warming debate. I can't keep
up with it. I simply lack the time, but for the most part the quality
is high, esp. the exchange between Rich and Glenn.

Unfortunately, in these heated discussions it seems that much chaff and
insult unnecessarily pepper these conversations. I don't understand
this for two reasons. One, as Christians we at least appreciate the
volatile effects of sin and a yearning for righteousness. And, second,
as a mode of communication email "ought" to be cool, and this because it
requires a steady hand to type and some period of reflection and delay
BEFORE the send button is hit.

Despite that it works that way for me (for the most part), my extensive
experience with email lists indicates that the rule is often, even very
often, violated.

Perhaps this apparent discrepancy is partially explained by another
plain fact of email lists: emails, and their tones, are often
misinterpreted. This can lead to frustration, and perhaps unintended
friction.

If this is so, maybe there are ways that its effect can be minimized.
It must help at least being aware of this communication problem.

I would suggest that BEFORE everyone hits the send button that they
REREAD their email for clarity and tone.

At a national laboratory that I use to work at, it was required that
many of your emails be read and approved by another person. Imagine how
this would have helped those involved in "climategate."

BTW, I do have other thoughts regarding your article regarding the meaning
of random. I may post that at a later time.

bill