From: Dave Wallace <wmdavid.wallace@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Dec 16 2009 - 12:25:26 EST

Rich Blinne wrote:
> Another way to decouple the effect of air conditioning is to look at so-called "high lows". That is how many record high lows there and how many record low lows there are. If there is AGW there should be more high lows and fewer low lows. Solar warming would effect only the highs and not the lows. Here's a graph of high lows and low lows:
>
> http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/cmb/images/cei/dk-step2.01-12.gif
>
> On the top graph the red line is the percent of the U.S. where lows are much above normal. The blue line is percentage the U.S. where lows are much below normal. We are getting more and more high lows and almost no low lows.

At first when I looked at the plot it looked quite positive to the pro
AGW side as I did not look carefully at the fact that it is an annual
record of lows and highs. I had initially interpreted it as covering
the winter (Jan/Dec) only so that poor sighting relative to air
conditioners would make little difference. However, even so it is
somewhat suggestive but I would really like to see the equivalent graph
over late fall to early spring.

Dave W