Re: [asa] Trust

From: Nucacids <nucacids@wowway.com>
Date: Tue Dec 15 2009 - 22:26:32 EST

Hi Gregory,

Very interesting reply. Thanks. Let me hit on three points. I’ll start with a point of disagreement and end with two points of agreement.

You write: “Mike’s observations about Bloom and Weinberg find their mark because they acknowledge the ‘reductionism’ of the weak philosophical argument, based on the notion that ‘science is the highest type of knowledge.’ I wish more TEs/ECs and MN-followers would come forward to, as David Livingstone does in one of his books, help ‘put science in its place’ and not let it be elevated into something higher than it is. IDists otoh are already quite good at this.”

I don’t think the IDists are that good at it. The problem is that they completely buy into the ‘science is the highest type of knowledge’ perception. That is why the non-negotiable point in the ID movement is the proposition that “ID is science.” TE’s are slightly better, but they seem to buy into the same line of thinking in a more subtle fashion, by taking a “show me that ID is science and then I’ll take it seriously.”

“The recent East Anglia leaked e-mails cast a doubt on the integrity of scientists and raise warnings that scientists are not ‘the new priests’ of ‘the secular age’ (Charles Taylor 2007).”

Yes. I wonder how many people have paused to consider that one day, tens of millions of people might very well look upon scientists the way they currently look upon lawyers or politicians.

I recall back in the early 2000s arguing with a bunch of ID critic scientists on the net. My point was simple – the ID movement, itself, posed no real “threat to science.” This created quite a stir, so I asked them to provide the evidence that science was under some real world threat. The responses were rhetorical, emotional, and the “evidence” was either anecdotal or someone’s imagination about future worlds. In other words, the scientists defending science had abandoned critical and scientific thinking and replaced it with something could have come out of a political or ad campaign.

No, the ID movement was never big and powerful enough to pose any threat to something as big and intimately interwoven into our society as science. The only thing that can threaten and undermine science are scientists themselves. If more and more scientists come across publicly as being no different than a political pundit or radio talk show host with an axe to grind or product to sell, the average person will hear this much louder than any “data” that is being discussed.

“After all, who in ‘the west’ talks about WISDOM anymore? Do we really need wisdom if we can have lots of information, data and scientific ‘knowledge’ instead?”

Ding, ding, ding, ding. You’ve just won my Best Point of the Month award!

Yes, wisdom is key. If I am going to put my trust in someone, I need a sign of wisdom. And the beginning of wisdom is humility.

-Mike