Re: Refuting Aristotle et al (was Re: [asa] Dawkins on the fossil record)

From: Murray Hogg <muzhogg@netspace.net.au>
Date: Tue Dec 15 2009 - 21:57:45 EST

Thanks for this Dave,

You have PRECISELY hit upon what I understand to be the point at issue.

If we assume evolution for the sake of argument then it seems to me that the "first human" (however so defined) would be so close to its parent that said parent could only be "non-human" in an utterly trivial sense.

It is, indeed, the problem of trying to apply the laws of excluded middle and contradiction to a characteristic which admits of degrees.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this and my confidence in my sanity is partially restored - although I daresay others will still hold out serious reservations :)

Blessings,
Murray