Re: Refuting Aristotle et al (was Re: [asa] Dawkins on the fossil record)

From: Schwarzwald <schwarzwald@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Dec 15 2009 - 17:55:19 EST

Murray,

Sorry, but this cuts no ice. If Gregory were simply making an appeal to the
Church fathers such that they or revelation should be trusted over modern
science... well, I'd have some problems with that, but "The year is 2009"
would *still* not suffice as a meaningful argument. There are problems with
trusting revelation over science (when the two are actually in dispute,
rather than it being a clash of philosophies), but the 'modern world' hasn't
done anything but make that view unpopular.

But when Gregory is talking about how there must have been a first, I don't
see him as making a theological appeal. It's a logical appeal, one of
reason. Along the lines of, "Beings of type X exist now. Beings of type X
have not been reproducing since eternity. Ergo, there must have been a
first." That's the sort of reasoning a classic greek may have used - but
today's date does not change the validity of it.

To give another example: Aristotle is credited with the law of identity, of
contradiction, and the excluded middle. Old, old "laws". Is "It's 2009"
anything close to an adequate way to dismiss them? Does it even begin to do
that?

Same for math. 2+2=4. You can find as much 'argued' (discovered?) in some
old, old references. Is the reasoning outdated? Is the conclusion now
suspect because of the passage of time?

So the "the world is fundamentally different" line doesn't go all that far.
Nor does, necessarily, scientific advancement. If tomorrow a scientist tells
me "2+2=71", he better have more than a declaration of "It's 2009" onhand
when I ask him to defend his view.