Re: [asa] finally convinced

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Tue Dec 15 2009 - 17:48:47 EST

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, John Walley wrote:

> Instead, this sounds to me more like an unintended consequence, like using margarine or saccharin or smoking, while leaving out the judgment aspect implying some divine wrath. It is different from jumping off a high building because man can reasonably be expected to know that that is not so smart. For this to be the equivalent it would have to mean that God is a diabolical trickster and that He gives snakes instead of fish when you ask Him.

Maybe early man can be excused for not knowing all the dangers of fire.
However anyone who accepts even a little bit of Darwinism ought to have
had some suspicion that our bodies might not be equipped to handle some
exposure to certain environmental factors such as John mentioned to which
our ancestors of a few centuries or millenia ago were not exposed.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)