Re: [asa] Dawkins on the fossil record

From: dfsiemensjr <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Tue Dec 15 2009 - 17:32:52 EST

I'm sorry that I can't give you a citation, but the bottleneck in the
human past comes from comparing human and chimp genomes. The latter have
a much greater number of variants in a currently smaller population,
indicating a population continuity extending back many (millions ?) of
years. The number of variants in all humans tested is much smaller,
indicating that perhaps 50,000 years or so ago there was only a small
group of survivors. I recall one suggestion that the volcanic eruptions
that produced the Deccan traps may have been responsible for the near
extinction. I can only report what I've encountered, not evaluate it.
Dave(ASA)

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 12:12:19 -0800 Dennis Venema <Dennis.Venema@twu.ca>