[asa] Arctic Warming in Alaska

From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Dec 15 2009 - 12:35:52 EST

> Again here are my links to my studies of Siberia using the actual raw data,
> not the pontifications of the climatologists who have not shown themselves
> to be very trustworthy

.

Then how about this for comments on climate change in Alaska from July 2008?
Note: the date is pretty significant as you will see. Note also some of the
photographs in the quoted document.

http://www.climatechange.alaska.gov/docs/govrpt_jul08.pdf

*

Governor Palin signs Administrative Order creating the Climate Change
Sub-Cabinet
*

Alaska’s climate is warming. While there have been warming and cooling
trends before, climatologists tell us that the current rate of warming is
unprecedented within the time of human civilization. Many experts predict
that Alaska, along with our northern latitude neighbors, will warm at a
faster pace than any other areas, and the warming will continue for decades.

We are faced with significant questions: How fast will the climate warm? How
warm will it get? What effects will the warming have? Is there anything we
can do to slow the increase or the extent of the warming? Realizing that we
can’t stop the warming, what can we do to adapt? And, what role should state
government play in all of this?

To get the ball rolling, I signed Administrative Order 238 in September
2007, which directs a team of my cabinet members to prepare an Alaska
Climate Change Strategy for my consideration. The strategy is to serve as a
guide for a thoughtful, practical, timely, state of Alaska response to
climate change. It is to identify priorities needing immediate attention
along with longer-term steps we can take as a state to best serve all
Alaskans and to do our part in the global response to this global
phenomenon.
*

**Constructing temporary flood protectionstructures at Kivalina(above and
lower right photos by Enoch Adams)Approximately 6,600 miles of Alaska’s
coastline and many of the low-lying areas along the state’s rivers are
subject to severe flooding and erosion.
*

My team,the Climate Change Sub-Cabinet, is giving immediate attention to our
communities most at risk from coastal erosion and flooding. Although many of
our coastal and river communities have flooded in the past,they have become
more vulnerable as permafrost and shore ice that once protected their shores
has been lost to warming temperatures.

The Climate Change Sub-Cabinet convened a workgroup comprised of
federal,state and local representatives and developed a list of actions to
be taken over the next 18 months to protect our most at-risk
communities.These actions included constructing additional flood protection
structures in Kivalina and Unalakleet, and an evacuation road and shelter
for Newtok, a village that can’t be protected and must be moved.Funding for
these projects is included in the state’s fiscal year 2009 budget.We expect
to see progress starting this summer.

In addition to communities requiring immediate attention,at-risk communities
need professional planning and engineering services as they work with
federal and state agencies to evaluate the needs and options for their
communities.The work group outlined a grant program that would address these
needs.The workgroup also recommended the development ofmore comprehensive
emergency planningand training for the most at-risk communities.Our budget
includes funding for these efforts as well.

The Sub-Cabinet is also developing recommendations for other Alaska
communities that will be impacted as a result of climate change.In
developing these recommendations,we will continue to look for co-benefits
such as lowering the cost of energy and reducing long term maintenance
costs.We are also looking at how to leverage federal dollars,and in all
instances spend public monies wisely.

More than 100 Alaskans, bringing a broad spectrum of expertise, interest and
views with them, are now serving on various advisory and technical
committees providing recommendations to the Sub-Cabinet as we build Alaska’s
Climate Change Strategy. I thank these fine Alaskan volunteers for their
service. All meetings of the workgroups are open to the public. The draft
strategy will also be available for public comment before it comes to me for
my final approval.

The Sub-Cabinet will also be making recommendations to me on how Alaskans
can save energy and reduce their greenhouse gas emissions. One of our
workgroups, called "Government Leads by Example" will be looking at ways
federal, state and local governments can save the taxpayers money while
reducing government’s carbon footprint.

Alaska has the opportunity, through commercialization of its vast North
Slope Natural Gas reserves, to assist the rest of the country in securing a
steady, affordable, low-carbon energy source. This will be an element of our
climate change strategy.

All life on Earth shares one atmosphere and each nation, each state, bears a
responsibility to all to protect it. Our government officials need to be
well-informed as the debates continue on legislation to regulate greenhouse
gas emissions.
*

Erosion and Flooding in Alaska’s Villages
**

Flooding and erosion affect 184 out of 213, or 86 percent, of Alaska Native
villages to some extent.
*

When Alaskans come together to solve problems, good things happen. Every
Alaskan has been, or will be affected by climate change, and thus has a
stake in this effort. My cabinet and I look forward to working with you as
we build this bridge to the future. You can learn more about Alaska’s
climate change efforts, and how you can become involved, by visiting the Web
site at: www.climatechange.alaska.gov
*

Until Next Time,

Gov. Sarah Palin