Re: [asa] Charles Babbage

From: Randy Isaac <randyisaac@comcast.net>
Date: Tue Dec 15 2009 - 10:57:54 EST

Good suggestions, Jon. We'll certainly give it consideration.

Early this year, I had a chance to see the Babbage Difference Engine that you mentioned at the Computer History Museum. My brother-in-law's picture is in one of the museum exhibits so I had to check it out. The machine is quite impressive. It really works. In building the machine, they went back to machining tolerances of the level possible back in Babbage's day, rather than modern capabilities. (My wife was impressed too but couldn't understand why it always seems to be the man who explains how it works and it's the woman who turns the crank at his command.......)

Randy