From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Dec 15 2009 - 08:50:09 EST

On Dec 15, 2009, at 4:40 AM, Glenn Morton wrote:

> Rich, The way data is engaged is if one explains the questions one is asked. Data is not engaged when one ignores the questions one is asked.
>
> Of the satellite data, I asked about the step function and why that is in the satellite data--no one seems to pay attention to it. What caused the step function which accounts for most of the satellite warming Here it is again
> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Lxqre8hMG3M/SybyLf1mxKI/AAAAAAAAA5o/20HOiFc6Nv8/s1600-h/weatherSatelliteStepChangetrends.jpg
>
> Please explain.
>
> Secondly, I have asked how one is to correct the station data of which, 69% are near heat sources in violation of the siting guidelines, when no one keeps records of when the AC is on. No one takes measurements at each station of how much heat arrives at the thermometer from the heat source, and that is another important piece of information to know when one is correcting the station record. You haven't answered or even addressed this.
>
> Here is a picture of an air conditioner exhaust immediately below an mmts thermometer. http://gallery.surfacestations.org/main.php?g2_itemId=27681
> Please tell us specifically how to take out the biasing effect of that heat source.
>
> Of Russia, can you explain why when I down load raw monthly data from http://climexp.knmi.nl/click_s.cgi?someone@somewhere?monthly?316,26 for the Siberian cities and plot the degree days above zero C, I see no warming akin to what is shown in the much massaged and unrepeatable plots shown at Climate at a glance which you depend upon. http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate/research/2008/oct/map-blended-mntp-200810-pg.gif
>
> Remember that in the US modern thermometers are edited to ADD half a degree of warmth compared with 1900. (you also haven't addressed that point) You can see the picture here http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Lxqre8hMG3M/Sh7ntlYGwEI/AAAAAAAAAXY/9GQ6qdOqSEQ/s1600-h/weatherRawVsSanitizedUStempDifferences.jpg Picture from http://themigrantmind.blogspot.com/2009/05/homogeneity-how-fast-one-is-pulled-over.html
>
> Now, given that one can prove that the US temperatures are artificially warmed merely by 'editing' and correction processes, one simply MUST raise the question if the same thing is being done in Russia for the Siberian data. After all, I pointed out that Siberian cities across 100 deg + of longitude don't show an increase in the degree-days above zero, which should be a parameter very very senstivie to warming. Please explain the discrepancy.
>
> Again here are my links to my studies of Siberia using the actual raw data, not the pontifications of the climatologists who have not shown themselves to be very trustworthy.
> http://themigrantmind.blogspot.com/2009/07/russia-no-warming-seen-in-degree-days_05.html
>
> http://themigrantmind.blogspot.com/2009/07/russia-no-warming-seen-in-degree-days.html

> [...]

Yeah, yeah, yeah, the Arctic isn't warming. This just shows you have zero credibility.

TIKSI, Russia - Freed by warming, waters once locked beneath ice are gnawing at coastal settlements around the Arctic Circle.

In Bykovsky, a village of 457 on Russia's northeast coast, the shoreline is collapsing, creeping closer and closer to houses and tanks of heating oil, at a rate of 15 to 18 feet a year. Eventually, homes will be lost, and maybe all of Bykovsky, too, under ever-longer periods of assault by open water. "It is eating up the land," said Innokenty Koryakin, a member of the Evenk tribe and the captain of a fishing boat. "You cannot do anything about it."

Coastal erosion is a problem in Alaska as well, forcing the United States to prepare to relocate several Inuit villages at a projected cost of $100 million or more for each one.

Across the Arctic, indigenous tribes with traditions shaped by centuries of living in extremes of cold and ice are noticing changes in weather and wildlife. They are trying to adapt, but it can be confounding.

Take the Inuit word for June, qiqsuqqaqtuq. It refers to snow conditions, a strong crust at night. Only those traits now appear in May. Shari Gearheard, a climate researcher from Harvard, recalled the appeal of an Inuit hunter, James Qillaq, for a new word at a recent meeting in Canada.

One sentence stayed in her mind: "June isn't really June any more."

Vorkuta, a coal-mining city of 130,000, is crumbling.

Many of the city's homes and factories were built not on hard rock, but on permafrost, a layer of perpetually frozen earth that covers 65 percent of Russia's territory. If the permafrost underneath melts, the ground turns to mush.

"Everything is falling apart," said Lyubov I. Denisova, who lives in a cramped apartment on Lokomotivnaya Street. The ceiling has warped, the walls cracked, the window frames splintered. Some buildings have been declared unsafe and abandoned.

Vorkuta lies on the edge of Russia's permafrost boundary, and some scientists predict that continued warming could advance that border hundreds of miles northward, weakening the earth beneath the vast infrastructure built during the days of the Soviet Union's industrialization of the Arctic. According to the Permafrost Institute in Yakutsk, the average temperature of the permafrost has already increased a degree or two.

Rich Blinne
Member ASA