Re: [asa] Fwd: REVIEW: 'Review: "Religion, AIDS, and the Negotiation of "Modernity""'

From: IW <ic.wilson@yahoo.co.id>
Date: Tue Dec 15 2009 - 02:55:20 EST

Ted Davis wrote:
> I forward this review without commentary.
>
> Ted

Thank you for this. As this actually does fall under my purview as it
was I will respond briefly. We see much that is simliar here.
Interestingly enough the views as expressed by Muslims are also
expressed by Christians. That is, AIDS is a consequence of sinful
behaviour and so if you contract it you
a. Deserve it and
b. Are a bad person

This of course does nothing to alleviate discrimination or assist in our
struggles to overcome it - the spread of HIV/AIDS and the attending
stigma. . Muslims here are not so opposed to condoms but Christian
churches are very much opposed and for the same reasons outlined in the
article. The idea is that it will interfere with reproduction and thus
God's will (yes, even the protestants hold this view) and also will
encourage degenerate behaviour.

To compound the problems are the conflict of cultures. Th Western
scientific mindset can easily understand such a virus. How it came to
be, how it acts etc. The locals struggle to understand and accept that a
disease can strike you years before it starts to manifest in any real
manner. They can understand a mosquito bite can lead to malarial fevers
within 2-4 weeks. A viral illness that can hide for years before
manifesting itself is something to be suspected and instead assigned to
other causes like black magic.

There are also strong overtones of "conspiracy theory". Many are
convinced that the Government introduced the virus to commit genocide
towards the papuans. Other are convinced it was created in an American
lab for a similar purpose. Many believe there is a cure and that
someone, somewhere, is hiding such a cure.

Anyhow, the parallels are striking. Thanks again.

Iain

> [...]
> counseling and testing services in West African settings from the
> struggle to get people to discuss openly their experiences with
> HIV/AIDS toward helping patients to access ARTs and to manage their
> treatment regimes as medications have become more available,
> illustrating again the positive side of religious community as an
> outlet for much needed services.
>
> Lonsdale's conclusion makes some historical comparisons between the
> effects of the AIDS pandemic on the African continent today and the
> widespread famines that brought such difficult circumstances for much
> of East and southern Africa in the late nineteenth century, noting
> the prospects for a "repoliticization" of African communities around
> the issue of AIDS and through religious organizations. Lonsdale's
> hope for this repoliticization is tempered, however, by recognition
> of the deepening and variegated fissures emanating in many African
> societies as the consequences of the AIDS pandemic become ever more
> sharply felt.
>
> Readers may find various shortcomings in this book, as with all
> edited collections, depending on the perspective taken. Scholars of
> religion may find perturbing the editors' squeamishness about
> providing a definition of "religion" and, possibly as a result,
> limiting the scope of the book only to perspectives from Christian
> and Muslim communities. Those reading from a public health
> perspective may be disappointed in the somewhat tangential role that
> AIDS itself plays in many of the chapters that focus so much on
> seeing AIDS as part of the larger crisis of "modernity." Those
> interested in gender and sexuality will be pleased with the prominent
> role that female sexuality, gender roles, and empowerment play in
> many of the chapters. However, male sexuality is at best an implicit
> theme in this book and all sexual relations are discussed exclusively
> in terms of heterosexuality. Those with a strong background in the
> anthropology of AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa will likely find little
> new conceptually in these chapters. However, the case studies are
> illuminating and effective. An audience with little background on
> African perceptions and responses to AIDS will likely find that,
> taken together, this collection provides an alternative perspective
> on AIDS as a problem more encompassing than simply a syndrome brought
> on by a viral infection. This is a perspective that large numbers of
> Africans themselves take, although by no means uniformly, and one
> that is no doubt extremely relevant, if not central, to any long-term
> efforts to combat, control, or cope with AIDS in Africa.
>
> Citation: Matt Heaton. Review of Becker, Felicitas; Geissler, Wenzel,
> eds., _Aids and Religious Practice in Africa_. H-Africa, H-Net
> Reviews. December, 2009.
>
> This work is licensed under a Creative Commons
> Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States

- --

CHAI-PAPUA
Operations Manager-Communications Coordinator
iwilson@clintonfoundation.org |==| iaincw@hushmail.com
SKYPE: iain-holuwon

Mobile: +62 (0)812 490 1406

This email is confidential and may also be privileged. If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify me immediately and delete
this message from your system without first printing or copying it.