Re: [asa] Fw: Save the planet---increase your carbon footprint!

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Dec 14 2009 - 14:01:18 EST

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 3:57 PM, John Burgeson (ASA member) <
hossradbourne@gmail.com> wrote:

> The scientific assessments I have seen indicate that threr are some
> cases where plant production is marginally better with higher CO2
> levels.
>
> Howsomeever -- the amount of farmland is diminished. Witness the
> drought conditions in the west.
>
> I view this article with great skepticism. I would hope that it is
> factually true. But the author cites no quantitative studies, just
> hand waving. And the referenced web site is not a credible one.

John,

This one may help:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11655-climate-myths-higher-co2-levels-will-boost-plant-growth-and-food-production.html

Indeed the entire site at

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11462-climate-change-a-guide-for-the-perplexed.html

looks like a pretty valuable resource. A sort of equivalent to the
TalkOrigins "Index to Creationist claims". Kind of "Index to Den******ists'
claims". (oops didn't mean to say that word .. do you think I got away with
it?

Iain