Re: [asa] Climate Progress

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Dec 14 2009 - 02:49:56 EST

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 1:30 AM, John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com> wrote:

> That's fine Iain. But this is the same ploy as "engaging the data" when
> someone else gets to decide what the data is. I have to submit to your
> criteria of objectivity to prove my "reasonableness" to you.

I'll just say that I spend my life analysing data, and I NEVER take it at
face value. One should always question what one finds in datasets - examine
for outliers, or just plain errors in the recording of it. That clearly
isn't accepting what someone else has decided what the data is.
Occasionally, as properly skeptical investigation proceeds, this involves
changing your mind.

This happened in the case of the Eschenbach article. I examined the data
initially and found no evidence for Eschenbach's assertions. Then someone
pointed me at the dataset that had been used to generate Eschenbach's
graphs, and I was able to regenerate them as well, and reported this to the
list. I could have chosen to remain silent about it, but in the spirit of
reasonableness and openness I presented what I had found. Eschenbach's
graphs are not a complete fabrication. I presented what I thought might be
a reasonable alternative explanation for those data, but I did still allow
that it could also be interpreted as someone cooking the books, and that I
was hoping that someone could explain what was going on. No other
explanation has been forthcoming so far, so as far as I'm concerned this is
something that so far has not received a sensible explanation.

 And you seem to think that I am being unreasonable in this, just because I
think you should pay more attention to an article which was the subject of
this thread, instead of ranting and getting puffed up and making huffy
statements like "continuous and gratuitous use of ...." etc?

One thing is certain: we definitely do have very different ideas of what
constitutes "reasonableness".

Iain