Re: [asa] vast new gas supplies

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Mon Dec 14 2009 - 02:29:24 EST

Bill,

(Comments supplementing those of Gordon Brown:)

The "less available water" in India and China from global warming is not necessarily that the precipitation levels fall (they could fall or rise or neither) but that less water gets stored in mountain glaciers for use through dry seasons. That is, much of the water for agriculture now comes from melting glacial ice. If the glaciers disappear, the water will all come when it falls from the sky, and little will be available at other times.

This kind of potential problem is not confined to Asia. I've seen maps of US rainfall predicted for various degrees of global warming that show Colorado will suffer summer water shortages if and when there ceases to be a significant snowpack. The person presenting the maps said the solution would be simply to dam the rivers and store water behind the dams for later release.

Don