Re: [asa] Climate Progress

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Dec 13 2009 - 08:12:21 EST

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 12:11 AM, John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think the gratuitous and continued use of the label "denialist" for those
> that don't affirm your conclusions reveals an arrogance and immaturity in
> the AGW dogma. This is consistent with the childish antics of the AGW kids
> disrupting Monckton's press conference in Copenhagen and liberal politics in
> general.
>
> Since you guy's are fans of employing the 1% doctrine when it suits you,
> you should be aware that 140 qualified climate scientists which is 2% of the
> UN's 6000 deny your conclusions at
> http://www.copenhagenclimatechallenge.org/.
>
> Further to continuously harp on the emails as being "stolen" shows
> definance and that the only remorse is that they got caught is truly
> stunning. Even their supporters point out that this was a breach of science
> standards at best. And even ACORN had more moral integrity than this.

John,

I'm wondering if you actually read the Michael Mann article about the
emails. His commentary on them revealed what I had suspected all along;
that the emails were cherry-picked and their contents were taken out of the
context of the discussion to look bad. I have had bitter experience of this
beind done to my own emails, not only on this list but outside. On one
instance, a friend I was trying to help over a difficulty angrily quoted the
first half of a paragraph I'd written back at me. He totally ignored the
second half of the paragraph, which entirely reversed the meaning of an
out-of-context quote of the first.

This happens all the time, and I'm not at all surprised that it happened
with the CRU emails; I thought Michael Mann's defence was excellent and not
at all arrogant. However, I'm afraid I can't say the same for what you just
wrote above, which does indeed seem arrogant to me. Sorry, but that's just
the way it comes across. Perhaps you didn't mean it that way.

As to "harping on the emails being stolen": you yourself have always
maintained there is a theological aspect to all this. What about the fact
that the Eighth Commandment was broken in the process, and that Jesus said
something about a bad tree cannot bear forth good fruit?

Iain