RE: [asa] finally convinced

From: Jon Tandy <tandyland@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat Dec 12 2009 - 01:19:05 EST

I'm sure God would rather us choose Him based on His merits, without
resorting to fear tactics. However, if persuasion doesn't work, sometimes a
little fear is needed. Does God not use fear to call to repentance?

How about these?

[Luke 13:4-5] Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and
slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in
Jerusalem? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise
perish.

[Psa 11:6] Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, and an
horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.

[Luke 17:29-32] But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire
and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all. Even thus shall it be in
the day when the Son of man is revealed. ... Remember Lot's wife.

[Mat 10:28] And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill
the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in
hell.

[Jonah 3:4] And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he
cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.

Beisner's argument is so na´ve it almost doesn't need comment, except that
there will be those who believe it. If the earth being "good" means it
won't experience natural perils, why is there death, disease, famine,
earthquakes, tsunamis, etc.? This and your question about why third-world
countries bear more burden of AGW effects are classic theodicy problems,
that have nothing to do with whether God created a good world or not.
Beisner would be better off arguing that catastrophic climate change, like
thorns and death, are the result of the Fall of Man, and part of the last
days judgment. He might even be able to make a better Biblical case for it.

I happen to believe that God (and the robustness of nature) can handle
corrections to the effects of AGW, even if some of the worse predictions
actually prove to be true, which I hope they don't. That doesn't mean that
human suffering won't result as part of the process. But I'm not inclined
to be driven by panic. However, his argument that we can simply dismiss the
whole concern about the effects on climate seems to eliminate any reason to
be concerned about stewardship over the environment at all. I suppose that
since God's earth was created "good", does this means there can't be acid
rain or destruction of natural habitats due to man's mismanagement of
creation, or that we shouldn't try to do anything about them?

Jon Tandy