Re: [asa] finally convinced

From: John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Dec 11 2009 - 21:57:54 EST

One last for me as well but I have to respond to this. Sarcasm aside, I see a grain of reasonable truth in this. It comes back to the theology of AGW, I don't believe God created us just to judge us and punish the earth. Like the Israelites trapped between the Red Sea and Pharoah's army, they chose to believe that He didn't bring them out of Egypt just to die in the wilderness, a belief which I also share. As opposed to some on this list, I don't think we have incurred His judgment for taking the coal or oil out of the ground or for using it to develop technology that has benefitted the whole world. In fact I think the opposite is true that He has raised up and worked through America and other Western nations for this end. I do think we are currently under His judgment for greedy materialistic excesses and selfish conspicuous consumption and for neglecting the widows and orphans, but not for lack of creation care.  Further, we know that Western nations have been the ones that supposedly earned God's judgement by polluting the atmosphere but it will be the third world that pays the price for it. How fair is that? Beisner's attempt may be a little simplistic but it reflects faith which is admirable. I think someone in the church needs to hold out hope to counter the fatalism from the secular world. I don't believe God works through scare tactics. You probably wouldn't approve of a fundamentalist church showing your kids the 60's films "Image of the Beast" or "Distant Thunder", but what passes today as AGW science in elementary schools is not much different. If any of you have seen those films you will powerfully understand this point. Not understanding this key theological distinction is what is causing Christians to err on this issue. John   ________________________________ From: Randy Isaac <randyisaac@comcast.net> To: asa@calvin.edu Sent: Fri, December 11, 2009 9:23:04 PM Subject: [asa] finally convinced One more post tonight if I may. I just heard a very convincing argument against AGW. A few minutes ago, Cal Beisner was interviewed on the Christian TV network INSP. He pointed out that a planet that would be in peril from an increase in atmospheric CO2 from 0.027% to 0.038% would not be a "good" planet. But we know from Gen. 1 that the earth is good. Hence, global warming isn't due to CO2 and advocating AGW is tantamount to dismissing God.   I hadn't thought of that. Its irrefutable logic leaves me speechless and without response.   Where do I sign?   Randy