Re: [asa] vast new gas supplies

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Fri Dec 11 2009 - 16:53:40 EST

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009, Bill Powers wrote:

> Now, I can't claim to understand why global warming, resulting in an increase
> of liquid water, would result in less available water, but apparently this is
> what many believe will happen, and there is evidence that it is already
> happening. Presuming a conservation of water, it is either in ice, liquid,
> or vapor. If less is contained in ice, more must be contained in the other
> two phases. So I can't clearly understand this, save that water distribution
> will change.

Mountain snow provides more water in the summer and less in the winter
than would otherwise be the case. This is especially important in the Far
West of the U.S., where the summer is the dry season, and irrigated crops
depend on water from snow melt in the Rockies, Cascades, and Sierras.

One effect of warming is that glaciers are receding, producing more water
than they are receiving. If they were advancing, the situation would be
reversed. So whether the glaciers disappear or reappear, we would still
look forward to less water from that source.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)