Re: [asa] The Mathematics of Global Warming

From: John Burgeson (ASA member) <hossradbourne@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Dec 11 2009 - 14:43:03 EST

William makes a compelling argument here why the climate models may be
incorrect.

Let's use Dick Cheny's "1% rule," which he used to justify the Iraq
invasion. This rule states that if there is even a very small chance
of a catastropic event then one is justified in taking measures
against it. In the Iraq case, Cheney was speaking of thepossibility of
WMDs.

The obvious application to you and to me is the seatbelt rule. The
chances of me being in a catastropic accident are very very small
(I've driven and been driven for over 70 years and it hasn't happened
yet). Yey I put on my seat belt and happily pay the extra $$ for an
airbag in my vehicular contrivance -- because of the 1% rule. It is a
good rule.

So -- apply this to the IPCC reports. They run multiple models and all
say we are in serious trouble. Maybe they are all wrong. Maybe the
science is not as robust as some people think. Let's take the most
optimistic view of all this we can. Is there even a 1% chance the IPCC
is right and the denialists are wrong? Even a 0.1% chance?

It seems to me -- in this case -- we ought to be taking all measures
to prevent a global catastrophe. Even if it costs us something. Even
if it costs us a lot.

--
Burgy
www.burgy.50megs.com