RE: [asa] Dawkins on the fossil record (Neanderthal)

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Fri Dec 11 2009 - 11:51:33 EST

Hi Rich-

Thanks- I saw your link and Terry's. They both looked familiar. Your link said this in the summary:

"In combination with current mtDNA data, this excludes any large genetic contribution by Neandertals to early modern humans, but does not rule out the possibility of a smaller contribution."

So it looks to me like the jury is still out. The link Terry gave also seemed to be a little hesitent to fully rule-out any Neandertal contribution to the human genome. And it could also be there was a community of mixed race that died out... no trace today. So at one time we could have been contemporaries. "Sons of Adam" mixing with "animals?"

Also, from Terry's newspaper article link, to say that Neandertals didn't contribute to the gene pool, it makes me wonder:

 1. What did they expect to find if such mixing happened.
 2. What do we actually see instead.

...Bernie