Re: [asa] Alex Rosenberg essay

From: Schwarzwald <schwarzwald@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Dec 10 2009 - 16:26:31 EST

Heya Murray,

I agree. I think Rosenberg's complaints on that front amount to, "Lots of
commentators have pointed out how problematic my position is. Well, I *know*
that, damnit!" But he does seem to imply that being aware of these problems
is sufficient to disarm them, or at least take the edge off them. His
problem (and naturalism's problem) is larger, vastly larger, than simply
being aware that intentionality (among other things) has no place in a
naturalist world.

I'd also point out that this is yet another philosopher who treats "unguided
and purposeless", re: evolution, as not only a scientific question but a
proven one as well.

But I agree with your final estimation. I think few people realize just how
high (low?) the bar is to actually accept a consistent naturalism.