RE: [asa] (asa) Re: Robot Minds

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Thu Dec 10 2009 - 15:19:37 EST

Hitting an "on" button doesn't change the physical "bill of materials."

My point is that before and after hitting "on" you have the same exact physical constitution. After hitting "on" the robot appears to "come to life." We even use those words to discuss it. You can say the computer has a "mind" since it 'thinks' yet is it all based on physical components (there is no "supernatural" mind with the robot).

A good example of an artificial intelligence are those vehicles/robots that take the military Darpa challenge. They self navigate through a multi-mile obstacle course... actually race, as more than one finishes. They appear to have a "mind" since they make "decisions" based on algorithms and sensory input:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DARPA_Grand_Challenge

...Bernie