[asa] Fw: Temperature Records

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Tue Dec 08 2009 - 22:51:32 EST

Randy suggested we skeptics engage with the data. A friend (PhD geologist) sent me the following message, which illustrates in great detail how another skeptic has engaged with the data. One of his principal conclusions: "People who say that 'Climategate was only about scientists behaving badly, but the data is OK' are wrong. At least one part of the data is bad, too." This is the kind of thing I suspected was going on all along (although things are apparently much worse than I suspected) and is the reason I proposed having all the data reinterpreted by a different set of scientists with different biases.

Don

Hi,

You may find the info below of interest in assessing the validity of the temperature data used to document the history and extent of global warming. This is taken from some web postings by friends of mine.

"Here's an "interesting" exposition of the methods used to cook the data re Global Warming. It's enough to make your blood boil."

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/12/08/the-smoking-gun-at-darwin-zero/#more-13818<http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/12/08/the-smoking-gun-at-darwin-zero/#more-13818>

"The "homogenized" data from HADCRU, GCN, and GISS cannot be trusted. Period. The Emails, bad as they are, are a distraction. The Devil is in the data itself. They need to throw it all out, and start over, using only the sparse amount of reliable raw climate data that exists." Note: GISS and Michael Mann have been caught cooking other data long before Climategate.

"This analysis is for a single station. If you consider the likely error range for this one station, then consider the likelihood of similar errors at the thousands of stations used for determining the Earth's "temperature," and what the combined effect of these errors are on the analysis, the only conclusion one can draw is that this data is totally useless for finding any meaningful result. Any actual change is simply buried in the noise."