RE: [asa] Nativity story- genealogy issue?

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Tue Dec 08 2009 - 13:56:39 EST

From my understanding, the seminary I attended (www.lru.edu<http://www.lru.edu/>) is similar (typical) to any other Baptist seminary.
...Bernie
________________________________
From: Ted Davis [mailto:TDavis@messiah.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 10:31 AM
To: asa@calvin.edu; Dehler, Bernie
Subject: RE: [asa] Nativity story- genealogy issue?

Bernie,

I'm nonplussed that you didn't encounter anything about "bible difficulties" in seminary. Just nonplussed. I've never attended seminary myself, but my father did (two of them) and many of my friends are seminary alums. I know that this type of thing is in fact discussed in many seminaries; whether it happens in Bible classes (I assume that is the logical place) I can't say without asking my friends.

There's tons of literature about this type of thing, from many different theological perspectives.

I really have to wonder, Bernie, whether your seminary education set you up for your future disenchantment with Christianity, by teaching you a very narrow view of things and by not introducing you to some examples of "difficulties" in the Bible. Without knowing more about the specifics of your education, obviously, I can't go further than to wonder. Some time ago, we discussed a similar thing relative to "creationism" and your seminary background. This might be another example of something similar. A seminary that fails to introduce students to "difficulties" and that fails to convey to students that the truth is a lot bigger than the "creationist" box is, IMO, setting up its students for big problems later on--not to mention that the congregations served by those students might also get badly shortchanged. You've already mentioned, Bernie, that churches don't talk about this stuff, either. That is probably true for quite a few churches, but not for those that I'm interested in being part of.

Ted