Re: [asa] An Evangelical Declaration on Global Warming

From: Christine Smith <christine_mb_smith@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Dec 08 2009 - 11:01:24 EST

Hi all,

Okay, this is try #3 to get this posted. Did anyone see/read the posts I emailed last Friday?? I didn't see any responses to those, although I thought they had been posted?

John writes:
"The fact that we believe that God designed the earth for us to inhabit and that is has built in corrective mechanisms should diffuse all the panic. People who reject this Providence from God have no protection from this fear and that is what makes AGW the perfect policy vehicle for ushering in virtually complete worldwide control of all humanity. I am certain this will come to pass eventually but I hope that this current attempt turns out to just be a dry run. And to not see this spiritual warfare element in this debate is the largest error with potentially fatal consequences."

Where you see in AGW a conspiracy to bring about "worldwide control of all humanity" in line with your interpretation of Revelations, I see Jeremiah.
Israel rejected Jeremiah's prophecies because they were too "alarmist" and full of "doom and gloom", and they pointed to their own "prophets" who confidently declared that everything would be fine. They were too smug in their own covenant relationship and ancestry; too complacent in their own prosperity, to recognize their own sinfulness and turn to repentance. They never dreamed that God's providence could include their going into exile in Babylon and the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem. True, God never abandoned them, and eventually the nation was restored; but before this joyous event came Lamentations - I'm sure those who wrote it wished their ancestors and leaders had listened to the voice of Jeremiah afterall.

You speak of God's design and providence in creation, that somehow this should dispel all fear of climate change, and that to think otherwise is "anti-Christian". But did it ever occur to you John, that perhaps part of God's design for our dominion included allowing us to reap what we sow? That perhaps the "self-correcting" mechanism(s) that were built in includes pain and suffering for humanity should we exercise our stewardship poorly? That if we became too greedy and materialistic in our consumption, too wasteful of His abundance, that He may have designed creation so as to punish us for these sins? It is out of my very deep awe and respect for His design and His will that I believe climate change must be addressed at every level of society - locally to globally - and that this is a 100% Christian response to the problem.

In Christ,
Christine

"For we walk by faith, not by sight" ~II Corinthians 5:7

Help save the life of a homeless animal--visit www.azrescue.org to find out how.

Recycling a single aluminum can conserves enough energy to power your TV for 3 hours--Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! Learn more at www.cleanup.org