Re: Fwd: a modest proposal [was: Re: [asa] Phil Jones Stepping Down..]

From: John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Dec 08 2009 - 09:53:38 EST

Randy, I think this is a valid comment. You are the one that started the look at the data theme. That implies that all the data justifies your conclusions and that the science is settled. But of course that depends on your subjective definition of the data.  Glenn and many other qualified skeptics also have data that they feel is not being engaged with. And we do have emperical data if you will of scientists in this debate trying to squelch non consensus data. So maybe we ought to have this debate after all?  Maybe it is not as settled as you think? If so, then it should be easy for you to enlighten all of us or at least help us define the points of contention. If not, Glenn's point is vindicated that maybe you guys are the ones not engaging in the data. I heard Michael Oppenheimer on NPR this morning. It sounds like from his perspective that he agrees with you and the data settles it. I am open to that conclusion and in fact if that is the case then I want to know it and I will be on board with you. However several informed callers had data based questions that raised serious concerns and he only answered some of them. I would like to air them out here on this forum once and for all for our mutual benefit. Thanks John   ________________________________ From: William Hamilton <willeugenehamilton@gmail.com> To: ASA <asa@calvin.edu> Cc: Glenn Morton <glennmorton@entouch.net> Sent: Tue, December 8, 2009 8:27:31 AM Subject: Fwd: a modest proposal [was: Re: [asa] Phil Jones Stepping Down..] The following is an exchange I had with Glenn after Randy said that AGW deniers on the list don't engage with the data. I should point out that Glenn uses lots of charts and graphs on his blog, (http://themigrantmind.blogspot.com) which he couldn't use were he posting on this list. ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Glenn Morton <glennmorton@entouch.net> Date: Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 9:57 PM Subject: Re: a modest proposal [was: Re: [asa] Phil Jones Stepping Down..] To: William Hamilton <willeugenehamilton@gmail.com> Tell him if he wants to put engage with the data, he should engage with me.  Tell him I said that.  Tell him I don't think he wants to engage with the data. ----- Original Message ----- >From: William Hamilton >To: Glenn Morton >Sent: Monday, December 07, 2009 9:21 PM >Subject: Re: a modest proposal [was: Re: [asa] Phil Jones Stepping Down..] > >I already did. Randy qualified his statement -- limiting it to people on the ASA list. > > >On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 8:22 PM, Glenn Morton <glennmorton@entouch.net> wrote: > >Tell those guys to go look at my blog http://themigrantmind.blogspot.com >>  >>They can't seriously claim that I don't engage with the data. >>----- Original Message ----- >>>From: William Hamilton >>>To: Glenn Morton >>>Sent: Monday, December 07, 2009 8:19 AM >>>Subject: Fwd: a modest proposal [was: Re: [asa] Phil Jones Stepping Down..] >>> >>>Hi Glenn >>> >>>This is a post from Rich Blinne listing sources of real data. Comments? Note John Walley sent me a snippet from a posting by Randy claiming that AGW deniers don't engage with the data! >>> >>> >>>---------- Forwarded message ---------- >>>From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com> >>>Date: Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 5:10 PM >>>Subject: Re: a modest proposal [was: Re: [asa] Phil Jones Stepping Down..] >>>To: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com> >>>Cc: asa <asa@calvin.edu> >>> >>> >>> >>>Go find the scientists, here's the data: >>>[snip] >>> > -- William E (Bill) Hamilton Jr., Ph.D. Member American Scientific Affiliation Austin, TX 248 821 8156