RE: [asa] New Age Cults and the Georgia Guidestones

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Mon Dec 07 2009 - 12:07:25 EST

Moorad said:
"I am not saying that an atheist cannot search the truth and know without presupposing the above; but the atheist's way of knowing can be consistent with the above yet inconsistent with his stated beliefs."

I think the atheist has the advantage. That is because the driving force for the atheist is to find a naturalistic solution, and all modern science, and breakthroughs, have to do with naturalistic understanding. Not one breakthrough or anything in science is based on a supernatural premise. Therefore, the supernatural can only be viewed as scientific baggage, I think.

For example... How did life originate? A Christian could say "Who cares, God did it." The atheist will search for an answer, knowing there has to be a natural explanation, because God and the supernatural don't exist. The Christian scientist then may tag along because it sounds like an interesting investigation, and there is some attention to be gained if any breakthroughs are found. But the Christian is not fully, 100%, convinced in the search for a naturalistic explanation since "God did it" (de novo) could be a possible answer for any scientific investigation that is on the fringe of understanding (origin of life, multiverse, etc.).

Now if ID has a hypothesis of supernatural intervention and that becomes accepted by scientific peers, then we will have a watershed event which will overturn all modern views of science.

As I understand it, the scientists of old were mainly Christians because it was a Christian-controlled field. Now that scientists can be secular (religion not an issue), I wonder if there will be any Christians on the leading edge of new discoveries on the really fuzzy frontiers where it is easiest for Christians to day "God did it" (de novo style). Origin of life and multiverse theory are the two interesting frontiers, I think. Probably also is the search for extra-terrestrials.

...Bernie