RE: [asa] CO2 in Food Production...

From: Jon Tandy <tandyland@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon Dec 07 2009 - 11:12:15 EST

I think this response, while interesting, misses the point. The fallacious
argument on food consumption, at least a more advanced version of it,
doesn't just compare the energy consumed by eating and walking vs. driving.
The question below talks about the energy consumed in "food production", not
just the amount of energy in the food being consumed. And yes I do consider
it a fallacy, a typical urban legend unless it's backed up with hard data
about the amount of CO2 released in growing, producing, selling and
distributing a 2000 calorie meal to my plate, as compared with the amount of
CO2 released in driving my car to work. In my case, I would have to walk 70
miles round trip, so I might need quite a bit more than 2000 calories (not
to mention needing an extra 18 hours per day).

Oh, another potential fallacy in the statement that would need to be backed
up by data: it would need to take into account the differential amount of
food consumed by walking, not just the 2000 total calories consumed per day
but only the difference in food consumed as a result of walking vs. driving.
It might not be negligible, but it might be. Then there are the health
benefits that could result, including lower expenses and therefore energy
consumption in the health care system, etc. It's one of those complex
calculations that I can't image the (presumably) "urban legend" has fully
addressed.

Jon Tandy