Re: [asa] vast new gas supplies

From: Bill Powers <wjp@swcp.com>
Date: Mon Dec 07 2009 - 09:41:33 EST

David:

I tend to agree with you that energy depletion, in the long haul, is a
more limiting and destablizing problem than AGW, even though there is,
according to the current wisdom, some relationship.

But I wonder about the alternatives that you mention. How would a
transition to alternative sources work?

A massive shift from fossil fuels would require (you tell me) vast
supplies of solar panels, wind and perhaps water turbines. This presumes,
of course, that US current energy usage would remain somewhat constant,
and this is not to mention that most of the world would like to do
likewise, perhaps multiplying global energy usage by what? (10?)

The first problem I forsee is where we are going to get the energy to
produce all of these solar panels and turbines. It will have to be
gotten, at least in the beginning, and perhaps for a very long time
afterwards, by fossil fuels. It would seem that this would only increase
our energy usage for some time.

I wonder whether there have been any crude estimates as to what global
energy usage would have to be were we to gather the bulk of our energy
from solar radiation (that would include wind).

I worked for many years in ICF research (Inertial Confinement Fusion). For
a long time, at least 15 years, this program has not been taken
seriously as an alternative energy source, and sold instead as a high
energy (think weapons) research program. As with all research, whether it
be AGW or the like, funding requirements demand appropriate marketing to
the customer, and only distantly related to the client.

There are still some that believe ICF or, more generally, DT implosion can
be a workable alternative to the "energy crisis." I have no idea where
such ideas sit today, nor whether anyone is getting the attention of
funding agencies. The problem, of course, is not merely that we have no
theoretically implementable system, but that, were we to have one, would
it be too expensive to construct. Expensive here means that it takes more
energy to construct on a large scale than the energy it would supply. The
latter is perhaps unlikely since were we ever to discover a practical
implementation, it would supply our energy needs for some time to come.

What I hope will happen is that we humans will learn to prosper, and by
this I mean the bulk of us, using perhaps 1/100th of the energy we are
presently using. This may mean many things. Do we really need all the
cars we have to live well? What else can we do without that would
significantly reduce energy usage and yet allow us to thrive. It matters
little to me that our life expectancy might lower. How old must we live?
What is it that we "must" have? I would say we could do without the vast
amount of most of the telecommunications industry. But I don't really
think they use much of the energy.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

bill