Re: Created to perish hopelessly? (was Re: [asa] agw: Skeptics vs Believers)

From: John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Dec 06 2009 - 19:56:54 EST

My intention in that statement was a summation of the following data points:

* We believe God created us to settle the earth and be stewards of it.

* God has a purpose and a plan for us being here.

* That He is able to protect us and provide for us if we follow His will.

* We have survived many doomsday predictions before that were false (and supported by data).

* There are possible mechanisms (Randy calls them wishful thinking) that may mitigate the known predicted effects.

* There are benefits from our current economy to us and the entire world.

* It is uncertain and unclear if our sacrifices will do any good anyway.

* Even if we knew it would, we would still be dependent on others joining us in sacrifice and that is out of our control.

* There is a certain religious fervor to some of those in this debate rushing us to take drastic action.

* There are known threats to the existence of humanity.

Therefore we should be cautious about embarking on any course of action that is inconsistent with these things that we know and that a wise criteria for deciding our course of action could be based in our faith and our theology. For instance, some of the Israelites assumed the worst in the wilderness before their Red Sea deliverance and 10 of the spies did not have a faithful report about taking the promised land. I am not saying that we should just have faith here in spite of the evidence but as we do in all decisions in our life, we fall back on our faith in the face of uncertainty, instead of fear.

Thanks

John