Re: [asa] Looking After Creation

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Sun Dec 06 2009 - 16:19:04 EST

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009, John Walley wrote:

> "Joseph was, in fact, passing on a climate forecast for Egypt and the surrounding region for the next fourteen years. He told Pharaoh that?s the forecast demanded  immediate action ? no time must be lost."

I am wondering whether it is obvious that this famine had a meteorological
cause. Both Canaan and Egypt experienced the famine, but except perhaps
for the Nile Delta the climate of Egypt is very different from that of
Canaan. If drought was the cause, then there was a drought near the Nile
headwaters to deprive Egyptian agriculture of the water that they needed
as well as a drought in Canaan. In Genesis it was only grain that Jacob's
sons went to Egypt to get. On their second trip they took with them from
Canaan balm, honey, spices, myrrh, pistachio nuts, and almonds. Could it
be that only the grain crops failed? Is it possible that some sort of
disease affected the grain? Agriculture is certainly not my field. Maybe
someone else has an idea.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)