Re: [asa] PSCF article on immune system

From: Nucacids <nucacids@wowway.com>
Date: Sun Dec 06 2009 - 11:10:19 EST

Hi Bill,

A protein is a chain of amino acids that folds into a particular three
dimensional conformation. A fold is a particular conformation. What
science has discovered is that even though amino acid sequence variability
is immense (for a protein of 100 amino acids there are 20^100 possible
combinations, since there are 20 different amino acids), there are only
about 1000 or so shapes/folds that are employed by life.

You can think of a fold as a region where the amino acid chain is arranged
into a scaffold. Function is tied to the scaffold when it is decorated with
an active site (which is usually some cleft or groove on the protein’s
surface that binds a substrate and converts it to a product), along with
other binding sites.

The immunoglobulin fold is a particular scaffold arrangement that is used to
make antibodies (this scaffold is also found in many other proteins). So I
am basically pondering whether there is something special about this
particular scaffold when it comes to making antibodies.

Here is a nice video that will help you visualize the immunoglobulin fold in
an antibody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIQBBgAcSdI

And here are a couple of essays that might help someone appreciate where I
am coming from with this:

http://designmatrix.wordpress.com/2009/01/18/the-amazing-proteins/

http://designmatrix.wordpress.com/2009/12/05/the-rational-essence-of-proteins-and-dna-2/

Hope this helps,

Mike

> Mike:
>
> You and Craig, if you are going to expect any participation from me, and I
> suspect some others, are going to have to get down on your knees, look us
> in the eyes, and talk to us as if we are bright eyed 8 year olds.
>
> IOW, I don't understand a good deal of the terminology that you are both
> using.
> What, for example, is the the immunoglobulin "fold" that is so prevalent
> in
> all creation?
>
> Thanks for both your participation, and welcome Craig.
>
> bill
>
> On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 00:45:45 -0500, "Nucacids" <nucacids@wowway.com> wrote:
>> I would like to pose a question that will take people down a different,
>> less-traveled pathway. While it is clear that mutations and selection
>> play
>> key roles in the generation of antibodies, is it possible that the
>> immunoglobulin fold itself facilitates this "evolution"? In other
> words,
>> is
>> there something special about the immunoglobulin fold, such that
> mutations
>> and selection would not be nearly as successful in generating
>> antibody-function if another fold was used?
>>

>> I ask this because the immunoglobulin fold, which is universal among all
>
>> domains of life, seems especially robust when it comes to tolerating
>> mutation, yet retaining the same basic 3D shape. There are proteins
> with
>> immunoglobulin folds that possess 5% sequence identity and have
> different
>> functions. In fact, so widespread is this fold that one study that
>> attempted to evaluate protein folds among the three domains had to
> exclude
>> this fold "because of the over-representation of immunoglobulin-like
>> sequences in the NR database that made the analysis of this fold very
>> computationally intensive." And to this day, people are still trying to
>
>> figure out whether the various immunoglobulin folds are related by
> descent
>> or keep popping into existence by convergent evolution.
>>

>> Consider the possibility that not all protein folds are equally
>> "evolvable"
>> and that the immunoglobulin fold is rather exceptional in its
> evolvability.
>>

>> Mike

>>> respectively (the topic of my PhD thesis). For humans, milk has IgM