Re: [asa] agw: Skeptics vs Believers

From: John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Dec 06 2009 - 08:35:07 EST

Randy,

I take issue with this. You seem to imply that it all comes down to the data and that is the trump card that settles everything. But it isn't. All the current emperical data can decide is that humans are adding CO2 to the atmosphere, that is causing warming, and there is some window of time in which to reverse these effects. But as for myself, I have already conceded these points so the data is now irrelevant to the rest of the debate.

What the data that you are referring to doesn't answer is the relative values of the tradeoffs being offered to solve the problem and like Schwarzwald said, whether the cure is worse than the condition. And what else the data doesn't decide is any possible other negative mechanims that Bill brought up and Lindzen suggests that may mitigate the catastrophe and that is simply because we don't have any data on those.  But that doesn't mean they don't exist. Sure all the current emperical data that we have leads to your conclusion but it is very myopic and a shallow analysis of the overall situation and a selective view of what the data is to keep repeating the data mantra.

All these other points such as unknown negative mechanisms,  the expected effects, the costs and value of the tradeoffs are valid data as well!  And even the subjective ones like Al Gore being a complete and total charlatan and new agers who want to exterminate the world are data points as well. Yes lets look at the data, but lets look at ALL the data, not just your selective view of the data. This is more shell game trickery like the CRU guys who manipulate the data and the peer review process as well.

Further, Malthus's predictions were supported by data, but he was wrong. The earlier Global Cooling scare was supported by data. Jimmy Carter's boneheaded doomsday predicitions were supported by data. The model predictions of continued warming were supported by data, but they were all wrong! And that is valid data to consider in itself. And the theology of whether we believe God has created us just to allow us to perish hopelessly is also valid data as well.

So I agree with you, we should look at the data, but I should take your own advice first.

John