Re: [asa] Looking After Creation

From: John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Dec 06 2009 - 06:50:17 EST

After reading Houghton's Joseph paper below, that is really what it comes down to theologically in my opinion, is whether or not we trust Houghton is another Joseph that God has spoken to.

"Joseph was, in fact, passing on a climate forecast for Egypt and the surrounding region for the next fourteen years. He told Pharaoh that’s the forecast demanded  immediate action – no time must be lost."

Further...

"To many science and God are not connected. But to many scientists, God is part of the story. For instance, they ask the question, ‘Where do the laws of nature come from’? Scientists do not invent them, they discover them. Belief in a Creator God, responsible for the Creation in the first place and for maintaining the creation in being,  leads us to see science as God’s science. A core belief in the Judaeo-Christian scriptures is that we are made in God’s image. A key component of that image is
creativity – we are meant to be creative just as God is creative. To Joseph God gave the ability to interpret dreams connected with the future. To scientists today God gives the ability to interpret scientific information related to the future and to propose actions that need to be taken to avoid harm, loss, destruction or calamity. "

"For instance, a heat wave in central Europe in 2003 of unprecedented intensity led to the premature deaths of over 20,000 people."  I remember this. Temps got into the high 90's F in France and people died.But I have a hard time panicing over this one. We get that every summer and except for having to cancel the occasional football practice we somehow all survive. Its just called living down South and many places get hotter than here.

Here is the alarmism....

"These climate change impacts are already evident. Within a few decades they will severely affect billions of people in many parts of the world. The damage will be greatest for poor countries in the developing world – it is there that climate extremes will be most severe and where there is little capability to adapt to them. By the second half of this century, billions of people will be affected and there could be hundreds of millions of environmental refugees whose homes are no longer habitable either because of rising sea level, gross flooding or persistent drought. "

So this is where we get into the science. I am not sure I trust the extrapolation above that scientists are the modern day prophets. If the interpretation of AGW scientific data is coming down from on high, then what are we to make of the arguments of all the skeptics like Lindzen? Are they resisting God?  This is getting surreal. My comment the other day about these guys getting like the Goldman CEO and believing they were doing "God's work" was just facetious. But maybe they really do believe that.

I am satisfied that Houghton is a true and genuine believer and means well but I am still somewhat skeptical on the remediation plan and the timeframe. It appears that he fancies himself as the modern day Joseph and most of mainstream science does as well. But what if he isn't?  If for whatever the cause, the earth was warmer before and we survived it, then what's the huge alarm now? I have a hard time accepting the genuineness of  the concern for the poor since environmentalism has a track record of sacrificing them regularly for the cause of saving the earth, for instance with DDT and malaria. And America has given trillions of dollars to the third world over the years and has funded almost every gov't and social program they have seen. And what will happen to that if we commit economic suicide? So I have a hard time signing up for this Western self-flagelation ritual.

And don't get me wrong, its not like I am some some energy hog that drives a Hummer and lives in a high carbon footprint mansion like Al Gore and wants to justify my lifestyle. I think I am as green as anyone on this list. I live in the mountains of N. GA and get water from a well and I have 500 gallons of rain barrels and still recycle our water, and my wife grows a garden and has a compost pit. I have a real efficient wood burning stove that burns firewood we collect from our lot and and for the last two years I have driven a Nissan Sentra that gets 30mpg. And I fuss at my kids all the time for leaving lights on. I have considered putting in both solar panels and a wind turbine but it is cheaper to just pay the power company to generate it for me because they can do it much more economically. If I do put them in though, it won't be because of eco-guilt but just to have a backup system in the event of an outage. We do lose power occasionally due to
 trees falling on the lines,etc.

Although I agree with conservation efforts and doing what we can to effect excessive consumerism and materialism, I don't think choking back business is the solution. Possibly there are other options we can consider besides?  Maybe we can help the third world more by continuing our research of alternate fuels? I also think the Cornwall's contributions of the earth being designed to be more resilient may be worth more consideration.

I am curious what Cameron and Schwarzwald think and if their has skepticism has been abated any in this debate.

John