Re: [asa] Josephus, Herod, and Jesus

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Dec 05 2009 - 17:16:51 EST

> “Matthew's account places the birth during the reign of Herod the Great,
> who died in 4 BC, but Luke dates it to the census of Quirinius ten years
> after Herod's death.”
>

> A few of the issues, off the top of my head:
Luke does not give a date for the census
There is some manuscript uncertainty; it is possible that the name in Luke
should not be Quirinius, or that it should read that it was the census
before that of Quirinius, but the conventional reading is probably correct.

Quirinius is known to have served in Syria (sl) somewhat after Herod's day.
 He is also known to have served somewhere (quite possibly Syria) before
then.

Census-taking in the Roman empire would not be instantaneous and could
easily last for years.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections