[asa] one more reason

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Sat Dec 05 2009 - 00:25:16 EST

One more important reason for my AGW calamity skepticism: human predictions of large-scale calamity of any kind, as far as I can recall, have never been fulfilled. Back in 2006 I wrote the following in an ASA post concerning a discussion of the coming energy catastrophe (note that my speculations about oil prices and economies were fairly close to "bang on;" they just came true a lot sooner than I'd thought!):

"As for what future oil prices will be, given the historical price volatility of this commodity, it would not be at all surprising for T. Boone and BP's chief both to be right. In fact, I would be mildly surprised if oil did not both fall to less that $40 a barrel and rise to more than $100 over the next 10 years. China's rapid growth has been defying gravity for years. If their economy and the US economy were to experience hard times simultaneously, the resulting big drop in demand would lead to a big drop in price. How likely is it that these economies will continue to grow rapidly for another 10 years? As for the high side, how likely is it that some political problem will disrupt the flow of oil from the Middle East and cause a price surge? After all, $100 a barrel is less than twice what it's going for now. For the longer term it seems inevitable that oil prices will go much higher than they are now--but how high is anybody's guess. Almost certainly higher than the price of bottled water.

"Whose longer-term predictions are more likely? All those in the know recognize that the quantity of oil is finite and that easily producible oil is running out. What they disagree on is whether the landing will be soft or catastrophic. It's a fact, however, that alarmists have had a poor record over my lifetime, and this is part of the reason I've been taking a cautious stance on this issue of late. The only true world-class catastrophe since the 1930s was World War II, and at least one highly placed figure had predicted "peace in our time." Since then we've been urged to fear nuclear annihilation (still possible, but nobody takes it as seriously as they used to), world running out of food, Japan's economic dominance to the detriment of the US, Y2K calamities, etc. And now global warming, and also the export of good US jobs to China and India. There have always been crucial elements in the scheme of things that the alarmists have failed to take into account. Perhaps the optimists' ideas have at least some merit. Or perhaps this time will be an exception, the alarmists will be right, and we really will have a catastrophic energy shortage.

"So what's the average guy to do? I say, come out in favor of conservation and the search for alternatives whenever the opportunity presents itself. No matter whether the landing is hard or soft, the world is going to miss easily producible petroleum and natural gas."

So what's the average guy to do about the predicted AGW calamity? I say, come out in favor of conservation and limitation of GHG emissions whenever the opportunity presents itself, but don't panic or take self-defeating economic measures in an attempt to forestall what at this time is only another predicted calamity of another bunch of fallible humans. Focus on adaptation, not control. Humans have neither the power nor the resources to control climate, but we've been good at adapting.

Don