[asa] 31,000 scientists against global warming.

From: John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Dec 04 2009 - 06:07:13 EST

I saw a news clip of some reporter at a White House news briefing asking a question about Climategate and the response was that they were sticking with the scientists and that there were 6000 scientists who believed that AGW was real. The reporter immediately responded that there were 31,000 scientists against AGW and 9000 of them with PhD's.

That was news to me so I looked it up and found this from about 18 months ago. This appears to be from the Tobacco guy that Rich mentioned. I also notice that they put a spin on it that says CO2 is actually good for the earth. Oy vey, who to believe?

I think in part this backlash is due to the alarmist tendencies of the AGW science establishment. They are pushy like used car salesmen and people don't like that and it is backfiring on them. This has to be handled more rationally. Don't try to scare me into doing something and take away all hope for the future. In my mind this exposes that AGW has primarily a religious motivation which I distrust and apparently most of science as well if this petition is real.

Also, it shocks me that the White House Press Secretary would fall into this trap and come out looking so stupid by trying to play the numbers game when the opposition has him beaten so badly. Was he not aware of this? I am beginning to think he wasn't. I can't see any other reason. That is the danger of trying to squelch dissent. You end up believing your own lies and you eventually get caught.

John

Scientists sign petition denying man-made global warming
More than 31,000 scientists have signed a petition denying that man is responsible for global warming.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/2053842/Scientists-sign-petition-denying-man-made-global-warming.html

By Graham Tibbetts
Published: 12:46PM BST 30 May 2008
Petro-chemical plant in Romania releases smoke into the atmosphere - Scientists petition denies global warming" src="http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00675/petition_smoke_404_675042c.jpg" width=404>
Petro-chemical plant in Romania releases smoke into the atmosphere Photo: AP
The academics, including 9,000 with PhDs, claim that greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide and methane are actually beneficial for the environment.
The petition was created in 1998 by an American physicist, the late Frederick Seitz, in response to the Kyoto Protocol a year earlier.

It urged the US government to reject the treaty and said: "The proposed limits on greenhouse gases would harm the environment, hinder the advance of science and technology, and damage the health and welfare of mankind."
It added: "There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of ... greenhouse gases is causing or will, in the forseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth’s atmosphere and disruption of the Earth’s climate. Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments."
The petition was reissued last year by the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine, an independent research group, partly in response to Al Gore’s film on climate change, An Inconvenient Truth.
Its president, Arthur Robinson, said: "If this many American scientists will sign this petition, you certainly can’t continue to contend that there is a consensus on this subject."
One of the signatories, Frank Nuttall, a professor of medicine, said he believed the Earth was becoming warmer, despite his signature.
"This issue is whether the major reason for this is from human activities. I consider that inconclusive at the present time," he said.
A spokesman for the Royal Society, Britain’s national academy of science, said: “The world’s leading climate experts at the Nobel Prize-winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change believe that it is greater than 90 per cent likely that human activity is responsible for most of the observed warming in recent decades. That is a pretty strong consensus.
“The science has come a long way since 1998 and it continues to point in one direction - the need to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to avert dangerous climate change.”