Re: [asa] WSJ on scientific credibility

From: Schwarzwald <schwarzwald@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Dec 03 2009 - 17:35:06 EST

Heya Ted,

A few notes from my own perspective.

* I do not think the worry should be that politicians will, re:
scientists, "press-gang them into service for future agendas". The fact is
that scientists (being human and all, something we seem to forget) are many
times more than happy to serve an agenda. Either for personal gain
(Monetary, fame, something else), or just because they happen to like the
agenda in question.
* Nor is this a recent issue. In fact, there's incident after incident of
this happening throughout history - nowadays it's vastly more prominent
simply because of the value of advertising and information campaigns, etc. I
noted to a friend of mine yesterday this strange habit where, if a scientist
is saying something a person likes, "Scientists say", "Research says", etc
is used to communicate the data. But if it's something they do not like?
"The (X) industry says," "(X)-Proponents say," etc. As if scientists are
only capable of saying truth, or having pure intentions.

* We have to stop conflating science with scientists. They are not the same,
any more than religion is a minister, priest or even a pope, or a country is
a politician.

* We also have to stop conflating science with political policy. Again, they
are not the same, nor should they be the same. A person who has very
reliable scientific data does not therefore have his policy suggestions on
how to react to such data justified - and such justification cannot and will
not come from, even largely from, science.

* I think it's unavoidable that, in the end, the question is going to come
down to authority to some degree. And few people ever want to give up
authority, whether it be political, social, intellectual, or otherwise. Even
whether or not it's truly deserved rarely matters much.