Re: [asa] (new wine in old skins) Ratcheting Concordism in Dennis Venema's talk at ASA meeting

From: Steve Martin <steven.dale.martin@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Dec 03 2009 - 15:35:56 EST

Hi Bernie,

I highly recommend Mark Noll's article "Evangelicals, Creation, and
Scripture <http://biologos.org/uploads/projects/Noll_scholarly_essay.pdf>"
that Biologos recently published. It looks at the historical context for 15
factors or assumptions that modern-day evangelicals bring to the table when
they consider science, factors and assumptions that are rooted in events
many hundreds of years ago (ie. even before evangelicalism, at least in its
modern form, was born). Probably all of us that have grown up in an
evangelical sub-culture have held these assumptions at one time or still
hold these assumptions - and they probably impact all of us in ways we may
not even admit, whether our ideas on faith and science have changed or not,
and probably even those like yourself who have difficulty with the entire
faith package. At least, your current views seem consistent with some of
the assumptions Noll outlines.

Noll states of these assumptions / factors that:

some seem to me damagingly mistaken in their entirety, and for a combination

--
Steve Martin (CSCA)